Monday, April 16, 2012

Easy Snack | Soy Sauce Eggs


Original photo and recipe courtesy of RasaMalaysia.
If only mine had the coloring!
While the cookies for the Monday cookie post are baking, I decided to sift through my Pinterest boards for interesting ideas, and came across a recipe for soy sauce eggs or Shoyu Tamago (thanks to RasaMalaysia for the original recipe!).

I'm very lucky. I don't have that picky, child-like eater-type boyfriend. Mine will eat anything. I've seen him drink entire cups of nacho cheese. Not kidding. Multiple cups of nacho cheese.

He makes up to it, though, by loving roasted red peppers, munching on hummus with me, and letting me use the grill. I consider that a win.

So, I'm sure you can imagine, our fridge is uhmm... well... diverse. Capers, vidalia onions, bricks of feta - all delicious and wonderful.

Then there are the boyfriend necessities: mayonnaise, corn dogs and hot pockets, Caesar dressing (or other approved substitute), sandwich meat and toppings, honey mustard, hot sauce, and eggs.

Two cartons a week in eggs, sometimes three.

Seriously simple. Seriously delicious.
I hard boil. I scramble. I devil, I fry, I poach. I make toad-in-the-holes, breakfast scrambles, egg salad, you name it. And that's in the course of one typical week. Not to mention the cupcakes, cookies, and other craziness. Needless to say, they're essential.

New egg recipes are always appreciated. And encouraged.

Shoyu Tamago is quite possibly the easiest egg recipe ever. Seriously. Two ingredients. Two steps. Hard boil eggs. Roll in hot soy sauce. The eggs are beyond tasty. Noms.


Shoyu Tamago (Soy Sauce Eggs)
Yield | 5 eggs
Time | 20 minutes
_________________________________________________________________________


Ingredients:


5 eggs
6 tablespoons soy sauce

Hard boil eggs. Let cool in ice water to keep yolks nice and yellow.

Heat soy sauce in a large skillet over medium-high heat.

Peel eggs. Roll in hot soy sauce. I think it's worth grabbing the tamari soy sauce mentioned in the original recipe to get the wonderful deep color (plus the dark coloring makes the chunks my eggs always seem to be missing less noticeable!). I used regular ol' Kikkoman. Brown, yes, but still absolutely delicious!

Keep rotating to evenly coat. Using tamari soy sauce gives a richer purple color, vs. the brown above.
The eggs darken as they cook and roll in the soy sauce.
Not as pretty as the purple ones but worth every bite!

Did I mention they're delicious even warm? One of my eggs didn't make it to the finish line, and there is a reason for that...

SO good.

At first, the boyfriend was reluctant. I don't really blame him - I was handing him a half-eaten brown egg. A tentative nibble led to almost biting my thumb off, and the extras I hid in the fridge yesterday are, yup, not there today.

I'll take that as a sign of approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment